Thursday, February 21, 2013

Nanny Day



My grandmother recently turned 91, quite an accomplishment.  Realizing that we do not have much time left with her I decided to organize a special day in her honor.  I made invitations and mailed them to a small group of family and friends.  I based all the decorations on variations of orange, her favorite color.  I made a sign with my Cricut out of different orange papers.  We painted bottles, pulled out of the recycle bin, pasta jars, beer bottles and salsa jars, to use as a centerpiece filled with flowers.  I got orange and white plates from a party store and made place cards with stamps and paper.


Based on my grandmother’s heritage, I chose a Jewish themed lunch, with all the delicacies we associate with that.  We had bagels, lox and cream cheese, smoked whitefish, pickled herring and onions, gifelte fish, red horseradish, sardines, chopped liver, rye bread, goulash and egg noodles, macaroons, halava, jelly roll candy and cake, just because.  


We made 2 cakes, my Chocolate Raspberry Cake(recipe in previous blog) and a Chocolate Triple Sec Cake (recipe in next blog).  I made sugar flowers out gum paste and food coloring.

We decided to have presents for her as well, much to her surprise. It was a great day and all enjoyed it very much.


1 comment:

  1. Becca, I am always so incredibly impressed by your endless talents and thoughtfullness! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete